Here at De Montfort Students’ Union (DSU), we’re busy getting the Campus Centre ready for De Montfort University (DMU)’s University Mental Health Day.
The special event, being held this Wednesday 8 March between 11am and 2pm, will reaffirm the university’s – and the students’ union’s – commitment to championing mental health.
The event comes during the week of DSU’s hugely successful #DeStressU campaign, which encourages DMU students to take a little more ‘me time’ now and then and to consider their mental health.
Keira is lending her support to University Mental Health Day.
Keira Rounsley, VP Welfare and Community at DSU, said: “Here’s the thing about mental health – everyone has it!
“Sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s bad. We’re here to encourage students and staff to feel able to talk more openly and honestly about mental health, and for this culture of openness to have a positive impact on students’ and staff members’ lives.”
University Mental Health Day will feature a range of events, workshops and activities to promote active mental health at DMU and to improve understanding about how to look after both your own mental health and support others at university.
Activities on the day will include;
- a cooking demonstration to offer guidance on what foods to eat to boost your mood and share healthy and easy to cook recipes;
- Leicester College providing mini treatments consisting of hand and arm massages to leave you feeling relaxed;
- our very own Psychology Society getting people talking about the parts of their bodies they love the most to inspire body confidence in everyone;
- the Lacrosse Club with a photo booth and smoothie recipes to make sure you eat well for a healthy mind;
- our LGBT+ Society speaking about the mental health effects of ‘coming out’;
- and the Pole Fitness Society with their cake sale to raise money for a mental health charity;
- …plus a load more!
The university are also giving away a tonne of prizes, including a Fit Bit Flex 2 Fitness Wristband, an Amazon Kindle e-reader and eight £10 Amazon vouchers.
To be in with a chance of winning a prize, simply take a selfie of you at the University Mental Health Day event using the #DMUmhd selfie frame, share your selfie on Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #DMUmhd between 11am on Wednesday 8 March and midnight on Friday 10 March, and you could be in with a chance of winning!
We’ll see you there.
As students, we often have a lot going on. From lectures to assignments, day jobs to exams – not to mention the general pushes and pulls of day-to-day life or having a social life!
Sometimes we’re so busy spinning these dozens of plates, that we forget to make time to look after ourselves – especially at peak stress times such as exam season.
That’s why we’re bringing back our hugely successful #DeStressU campaign. Read more here.