Hopefully your time here at De Montfort University will be one of the happiest times of your life. However from time to time, some students feel unhappy about particular aspects of their course or feel that they have been unfairly treated in some way by a University Department.

If this is the case, you have the right to use the University’s Complaints procedure to highlight your concerns. The leaflet on this page gives more information about how students can ask the University to look at their complaint. If you are still unhappy after the complaint has been examined using the University’s internal complaints procedure, you have a right to ask the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (OIA) to investigate your complaint.

Their website can be accessed here

We can help students with advice on filling in their complaint form and their statement as well as advice about the evidence they need. We can also represent students at any meetings or hearings and help with OIA applications.

 This leaflet gives you more information on Complaints.

Need more help? Get advice and support from DSU Welfare