Travel To Other Countries

Travel to Europe

If you wish to travel Europe but are not from within the European Economic Area, you may be required to apply for a Schengen visa. 

This type of visa will allow you to visit countries covered by the Schengen agreement.

Countries covered by the Schengen agreement are as follows:

Austria  Belgium  Czech Republic  Denmark  Estonia  Finland  France  Germany  Greece

Hungary  Iceland  Italy  Latvia  Liechtenstein  Lithuania  Luxembourg  Malta  Netherlands

Norway  Poland  Portugal  Slovakia  Slovenia  Spain  Sweden  Switzerland

Where to apply

You will need to apply for a short stay visa in the country (or countries) of your choice.

If you are visiting only one country in the Schengen space, you should apply to the embassy of that country.

If you are visiting several of the 26 countries, you should apply to the embassy of whichever country is your 'main destination' - the country in which you plan to spend the most time during your trip.

If you are visiting several countries in the Schengen space without having a main destination, you should submit an application to the embassy of the country where you will first enter the Schengen space.

How to apply

All the information you need can be found in our presentation  

Further information is also available through the following link to UKCISA

Key issues to consider before you decide to book your trip 

Is there enough time to obtain the visa? Remember that you will need to apply approximately a month before you travel so that your visa can be ready in time before you travel.

  • Check the processing times on the application website – bear in mind these are estimated not guaranteed
  • Look out for additional processing time for certain nationalities
  • Don’t forget to include several days extra for postage/courier delivery
  • Remember the processing time counts from the date of your appointment, and at busy times, appointments may not be available right away – you can only see what times are available after submitting your application

Can you obtain all the necessary documentation?

  • See the application website for a list of required documents
  • Make sure you have all of the information necessary to complete the application form

Have you been in the UK long enough?

  • You need 3 months of UK Bank statements to support your application
  • You may not be unable to get travel insurance if you have lived here less than 6 months – check your policy terms and conditions

Does your UK Visa have sufficient time remaining?

  • You must have at least 90 days remaining on your UK visa after the end of your trip to be eligible for a Schengen visa

Is your passport acceptable?

  • Your passport must be valid for at least 90 days after your trip
  • You must have 2 blank adjacent pages
  • Your passport must be less than 10 years old
  • Check that if there is a space for your signature that you have signed it

Can you afford to apply?

  • Include the cost of travelling to London, and overnight stay if necessary to attend the appointment, in addition to the application fee
  • Consider the additional fee for courier delivery if you wish to use this service
  • Check whether the accommodation is provided as part of the trip or is additional
  • Be aware that the booking fee for DMU Global trips is non-refundable

Have you had problems before?

  • If you have previously overstayed a Schengen visa you could be refused future Schengen visas.
  • If you have been refused previously, and the reason is still relevant, you would be likely to be refused again e.g. criminal record.

Can you show evidence of your intention to return to the UK after your trip?

  • Think what else you can provide in addition to your travel booking e.g UK accommodation (especially if paid in advance), your course achievements to date or attendance record, employment and family ties.


Travel to the United States

Depending on your nationality and your personal circumstances, you could go to the U.S. through the visa waiver (ESTA). If you don't qualify under ESTA, you will need to apply for a visa. 

All the information you need about travelling to the U.S. is here in our presentation and on the U.S. Embassy website.