Tier 4? Schengen? We've got you covered.

Do you know you can get free immigration advice from your Students’ Union? Here at Advice, we can help you with immigration queries you have during your time here at De Montfort. 

How we work

DSU Advice gives immigration advice and assistance to prospective, current and recently graduated De Montfort University students. We cannot assist individuals who do not fall within this group.

We can advise on Tier 4 applications both in the UK and overseas including Doctorate Extension Scheme applications as well as to students whose family members are applying for PBS Dependant applications. Help is also available to post applications away to UKVI for all of these applications. Advice is also available on Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur applications as well as Short Term Study visas.

We will advise and assist students who have lost their biometric residence permit, have an error on their biometric residence permit or would like general information about life in the UK covering such areas like inviting friends and family to visit, working in the UK before or after their studies etc.

We cannot give advice on Asylum applications, human rights or discretionary circumstances or settlement applications such as indefinite leave to remain. . We also cannot give advice on settlement applications for European nationals.

Our advisers are careful to work within their level of competence. If your matter is complicated you may be advised to seek the help of a Solicitor. In this instance we would assist you to find a suitable practitioner.

We are regulated by the OISC (Office of the Immigration Services Commission) but do not need to apply for authorisation to give immigration advice based on exemption by ministerial order. This ministerial order allows us to give immigration advice. However, we do still have to comply with the OISC Code of Standards.

There is no charge for any of our services. 

If you have any complaints about the immigration advice provided to you, you may use the complaints procedure of DSU Advice or you can use the OISC complaints procedure.  

Areas we can help with

New to the UK

Coming to the UK for the first time can be really exciting - here's all the information you need to know to be able to settle in really quickly. 

Tier 4 Student Applications

We can help students who are applying for Tier 4 leave. We can give you advice on the immigration rules you will need to meet, check your form and documents, and for students applying in the UK, post your application to the UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) for you. This means that the Centre will deal with any queries the UKVI may have about your application on your behalf and all of your documents will be returned to us.

Police Registration

Many students need to register with the Police and we can give you advice about whether you need to and how to do this.

Biometric Residence Permit Replacements

If you find that your biometric residence permit is lost or stolen, it is very likely that you will need to report this to UKVI and the Police and replace this as soon as possible. We provide you with the information you need to do this. 

Working while studying

If you want to work part time while studying, you need to make sure you have permission to do so. We can check your right to work and give you advice on getting a National Insurance Number.

Work Placements

If you would like to undertake a work placement as part of your course or you have a placement arranged and need to know what to do next, further information and advice can be obtained through us. We highly recommend you read our information on this first. 

Working after you finish your course

Many students want to stay in the UK to work after they finish their course. If you want to do this, we can advise on the different working schemes available to students.  

Travel to other countries

If you want to visit Europe or other countries such as the United States, it’s likely that you will need to apply for a visa before travelling. Advice is available from us on how to apply for European Schengen visas and permission to visit other countries.

Inviting visitors to the UK

Especially at graduation time but also throughout the year, international students want to invite their family and friends to the UK to visit them. We can give advice about the application process visitors need to go through to travel to the UK.

Bringing family members to the UK

Many students like their family to be here in the UK when they are studying. If you need advice on bringing your spouse or children to the UK as your dependants, we can advise on the process to do this and the rules that they need to meet.