What Is It?
An academic society the bridge between multi-disciplinary students interested in a career in the video games development industry. We provide our members with opportunities to network with students and guests from the world fastest growing industry; build teams, start projects of their own and create portfolio ready work during workshops and Game Jams.
- Host Industry Guest Lectures and Appearances; where members get the chance to meet Developers.
- Plan travel to industry events: Industry Workshops (London), Develop (Brighton), EGX (Birmingham), EGX Rezzed even possibly Gamescom (Germany). This includes providing discounts on certain ticket purchases and travel.
- Offer tutelage to anyone in the society looking for a helping hand, of particular help to upcoming first years.
- Utilize spaces for smaller study workshops or ‘Game Jams’, creating an environment where members who otherwise would have never met, can organize a team, direct a project and create a body of work.
- Offer a platform where students can communicate and exchange knowledge, offer their talents, all to expand their skills toolkit and portfolio to better prepare for a job in Industry
- Our first Game Jam; hosted in September 2015, had a total of 45 attendees. 8 Games were produced in 48 hours.
- Welcomed guests such as Concept Artist Alex Brady, Sound Designer Sam Hughes, Art Director and co-founder of SIGTRAP games Gary Lloyd.
- NUS published an article focusing on the accomplishments of our Society. The first NUS article to mention a DMU Society, EVER!
- We won 'Best New Society' award in 2015 at the Vice-Chancellor Student Societies Dinner.
- Nominated for Vice-Chancellors award in 2015 at the Vice-Chancellor Student Societies Dinner.
- We were nominated for Best Academic Society and Best New Society in the 2015 National societies awards!
- We went on to win the 'Best New Society' at the national societies awards! This makes us the best new society in the whole country of 2015.
- Over 120 members in 2018/2019 year.
- 80+ attendees at our game jams.
- Attended EGX Rezzed in London in 2019.
- Became affiliated with LevelUpUK and Sidefest, two companies interested in helping student games developers.