Facebook - LinkedIn - Forum - Email
What Is It?
An academic society the bridge between multi-disciplinary students interested in a career in the video games development industry. We provide our members with opportunities to network with students and guests from the world fastest growing industry; build teams, start projects of their own and create portfolio ready work during workshops and Game Jams.
Interested in a career in Games Development?
If you want to create quality games, take advantage of the people who can deliver on that, they’re all here. If you want to find like-minded, talented, motivated students like yourself, this is the society for you. Read more below on what we offer.
Who Can Join?
Anyone with a career interest in the world’s fastest growing industry: Video Games Development.
This includes but is not limited to students from: Animation, Video Games Programming, Games Technology, Games Art Design, Music Technology, Fine Art, Software Engineering, Graphic Design etc. Course leaders and staff also take an active part, providing lectures, offering support, providing members with networking opportunities to expand industry links and connections.
(Our 2015 Fresher Fair stand)
What We Offer:
Connect, Collaborate, Create
The Games Development Society offers students the chance to:
- Connect and network with other multidisciplinary students
- Collaborate, build teams, start personal projects
- Create your own video game, expand your portfolio of work
- Host Industry Guest Lectures and Appearances; where members get the chance to meet Developers.
- Plan travel to industry events: Industry Workshops (London), Develop (Brighton), EGX (Birmingham), EGX Rezzed even possibly Gamescom (Germany). This includes providing discounts on certain ticket purchases and travel.
- Offer tutelage to anyone in the society looking for a helping hand, of particular help to upcoming first years.
- Utilize spaces for smaller study workshops or ‘Game Jams’, creating an environment where members who otherwise would have never met, can organize a team, direct a project and create a body of work.
- Offer a platform where students can communicate and exchange knowledge, offer their talents, all to expand their skills toolkit and portfolio to better prepare for a job in Industry
- Our first Game Jam; hosted in September 2015, had a total of 45 attendees. 8 Games were produced in 48 hours.
- Welcomed guests such as Concept Artist Alex Brady, Sound Designer Sam Hughes, Art Director and co-founder of SIGTRAP games Gary Lloyd.
- NUS published an article focusing on the accomplishments of our Society. The first NUS article to mention a DMU Society, EVER!
- We won 'Best New Society' award in 2015 at the Vice-Chancellor Student Societies Dinner.
- Nominated for Vice-Chancellors award in 2015 at the Vice-Chancellor Student Societies Dinner.
- We were nominated for Best Academic Society and Best New Society in the 2015 National societies awards!
- We went on to win the 'Best New Society' at the national societies awards! This makes us the best new society in the whole country of 2015.
Where Can We Find You?
Like our Facebook Page for more information and updates: www.facebook.com/DMUGDS
Follow our LinkedIn page for updates: www.linkedin.com/company/dmu-games-development-society
or alternatively, subscribe to our mailing list: www.dmugds.co.uk/newsletter/
Our new website thats currently under development: http://www.gamedevdmu.co.uk/
If you have any further questions, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org