Strike Action Complaints

If you have been negatively affected by the strike action at DMU, then we would encourage you to explore your options of submitting a complaint to the University.

Before submitting a complaint, it is recommended that you read through the strike action student FAQs on the DMU website here.

How do I submit a complaint?

To submit a complaint, you must complete the following complaint form here.

To accommodate this time of uncertainty at DMU, the institution has chosen to streamline the usual 3 stage complaint process for complaints made as a result of the strike action. For all other complaints our standard complaint procedure applies.

This streamlined process will consist of completion of the complaint form and submission to the Academic Support Office within 30 university working days of the last strike date, that is by Thursday 30 April 2020.

Your complaint will then be reviewed and investigated in line with stage 2 of the university’s complaints procedure. All outcomes will be reviewed by the Executive Director of Student and Academic Services and Associate Chief Operating Officer, or their nominee.

DSU are recommending the following;

  • Complaints should include as much evidence as possible of how you have been impacted by the strikes
  • It is impossible to calculate the cost price of a lecture for students as your tuition fee covers your entire university experience (library, blackboard, buildings, computers, developments, welfare support etc). Therefore, you may be better off claiming for compensation of the impact, rather than an actual refund.
  • If you are at a financial loss for cancelation of lectures (e.g. commuter students travelling by train) then we recommend you keep all receipts to evidence your expenditure before attempting to claim for a refund.
  • If you have been impacted, it’s most likely that the rest of your course have also had a similar experience. We would advise, that where possible, group complaints should be made. This will mean less administration for the University and in turn result in a quicker outcome given.
  • If your complaint is not upheld or you are not happy with the outcome you may escalate your complaint once to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA) once you have a completion of procedure letter. (