Termination of your academic studies means you will no longer be classed as a student at De Montfort University (DMU). To help answer your questions about termination, we've pulled together some frequently asked questions:

Can my registration at DMU be terminated?
Yes, the Regulations enable the university to terminate a student’s registration in a number of circumstances. These can be broadly categorised into two types; penalties resulting from breaches of the General Regulations, or academic failure according to Programme Regulations.
Can I appeal against a termination of my studies?
Yes you can appeal and you have the right to appeal, but to do so successfully you would also need to meet the grounds to appeal. You will need to follow the procedure outlined in the applicable regulations (this will depend on the reason for the termination). If unsure, please seek advice from DSU Advice.
Where can I find the regulations relating to termination?
There are various Chapters of the DMU General Regulations related to termination, depending on the reason. For example, for poor attendance, non-payment of fees, dishonest applications or non-compliance with visa requirements see Chapter 1, in the case of disciplinary action (including Fitness to Practice) see Chapter 2, Health/behavioural reasons in Chapter 3, and Academic Offences in Chapter 4.


In the event of academic reasons (failure to meet the programme’s progression or award requirements) you will need to refer to the relevant Regulations listed below and perhaps also your specific Programme Regulations on Blackboard.


Taught Programmes Regulations


Code of Practice for Research Degree Students


DMUIC (formerly LIPC) Regulations


The appeals process relating to termination for academic reasons is found in Chapter 8 of the General Regulations.
Where can I get advice and help with an appeal?
DSU Advice provides independent and confidential advice on university regulations and processes. We can also advise on how you can prepare your case and act as a companion at meetings or hearings. Please note that due to limited availability DSU companions cannot always be arranged especially if insufficient notice is provided, so please contact us straight-away. Alternativley, you are permitted to have a friend or relative as a companion.
Can I repeat the year?
The university allows students who have failed level 4 and whose registration would otherwise be terminated one opportunity to repeat the year. This can be on their original or a different programme. This opportunity is open to students who passed with at least 30 credits at the first attempt and 60 credits by the end of level 4, but who can’t achieve enough credits to progress into level 5.


If students haven’t taken their reassessments or have deferred assessments by the end of the academic session, they may become eligible to repeat level 4 at a later date. In this case the chance will be offered at the next available opportunity. This is not possible for all programmes though. For example some professionally-accredited programmes do not have this provision, so please check your Programme Regulations on Blackboard. When repeating a year, none of the module marks from the previous attempt will be retained. If a repeat year is agreed, a repeat year agreement form should be completed.


The university won’t normally consider requests from students to repeat level 5 or level 6, but exceptions might be made in the most exceptional cases, usually with strong evidence of extenuating personal circumstances. This will be at the discretion of the faculty's Associate Dean (Academic). The decision of the Associate Dean (Academic) or nominee is final.
If I cannot continue studying at DMU, what are my options?
Firstly, contact your Faculty Advice Centre to find out whether you have attained enough credits for an exit award. You might receive a lower qualification than you were aiming for.


You may be able to return to DMU in the future however depending upon the reason for your termination, reinstatement or re-admission this may or may not be possible. Reasons for not being able to return to DMU include:


- The General Regulations state that students terminated for poor attendance must wait 2 years before they can re-apply to DMU.


- The Taught Programmes Regulations stipulate that in the case of academic failure, (unless there are exceptional circumstances for which an exception might be made) Undergraduates must wait for a full 2-year period to elapse from the date of termination before re-applying (without any guarantee of being offered a place) and not normally to the same course.


- The Taught Programmes Regulations state that in cases of academic failure, a Postgraduate can seek re-enrolment to complete and initial, higher or final award after at least one full calendar year has elapsed since termination.


In both cases this is only possible within the maximum period of registration for that course.


- Where a student is expelled for disciplinary reasons, they can never be readmitted to DMU under any circumstances. If in doubt please seek advice on your position from DSU Advice.


You may be able to continue studying at another institution. If you have been awarded an exit award you may be able to ‘top-up’ from this level to your desired qualification without necessarily starting from the beginning. You will need to contact the institution you are applying to for information about their policy relating to Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). If you are considering future study, you may need advice on either your entitlement to Student Finance, or your eligibility for additional Tier 4 Leave. Please seek advice from DSU Advice to clarify your position at the earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment.


You may need to reconsider your plans. If you would like careers advice please contact the DMU Careers Service. Termination can be a stressful experience, so please do seek support as required or contact DSU Advice.