

Minutes:

Academic Zone

Confirmed

Meeting 03 of the academic year 2021-22

Date / Time:

30th March 2022, 17:30-18:30

Location:

Microsoft Teams Meeting

Chair:

Nyashadashe Nguwo
Myra Kiama

Academic Executive Officer
Secretary

Attendees:

Nyashadashe Nguwo (NN)	Academic Executive Officer
Myra Kiama (MK)	Academic Representation Coordinator
Hussain Mahetar (HM)	Academic Representation Coordinator
Anna Maria Sikora (AS)	Academic Zone Member
Toby Smith (TS)	Academic Zone Member
Stephanie Glazebrook (SG)	Academic Zone Member

1. Introductions and Apologies for Absence:

NN: I didn't receive any apologies. I'm sure everyone knows each other. Do we need to do a round of introductions? I think that's yes. I'll start with you Hussain Yeah maybe a quick round of introductions.


HM: My name is Hussain, I'm an Academic representation Coordinator, to make it a bit easier for everyone. I'm sure everyone knows Myra, I do the same job as her. I've only just started I'm only a month in.

NN: Stephanie? Stephanie is typing.

TS: Toby?

TS: I'm Toby, I'm a 3rd year Psychology student and I have a lot of jobs around the uni.

AS: Hello everybody, my name is Anna I'm a 3rd year student and a Course Rep.



NN: And we have Stephanie as well, who is a Law and Human Rights student.

2. Confirmation of minutes from previous meeting

NN: Has everyone received the minutes from the last session? Just confirming?

AS: So, I have received mine, but I was not able to attend the last session and I passed a message to I don't remember who and the topic was about tickets for graduation, but I don't know if that was discussed or not.

NN: I'm now part of a committee teaching for excellence, I can arrange to have a conversation and I can involve you as well in it, or I can involve everyone and we can see what we can do.

AS: I think involving everyone will be more beneficial because we are all students and we all have our own opinion about that

NN: I'll take action on that and drop them an email and let everyone know what is said.

AS: Thank you.

3. Education 2030

NN: I'll give a quick update on ED2030, I attended the last AB there were some issues that were raised by some Course Reps. Mature students were feeling left out so I spoke to the deputy vice chancellor Andy Collop to have a conversation with those students and to discuss how their teaching will be impacted. I also made it clear that Instructions from the university must be clear that the new style of teaching won't affect the current students, and there is also a conversation about personal tutors. Whether they're needed or not so I would like to get feedback from you and what you think about that for the next meeting I go to. There will also a be a committee about how the support the student union provides once 2030 is in place, I don't' know if anyone has any comments or feedback they would like to share?

NN: Okay, I'll move on

4. DSU Awareness campaign

NN: Okay, I have a project I've started working on it's a DSU awareness campaign, I'm working with the Voice team, involving Course Reps too and everyone in the zone too, we've printed some merchandise and bought some freebies and we're in contact with university staff too and we want to create a video too, explaining what the teams do, voice team, advice. The video will be in different university buildings and we're going to do shout outs, and host stalls to raise awareness of student union and what it's about, anyone who wants to be part of it is welcome.

NN: Questions, suggestions?

AS: Okay, you said that the project will involve a video, is that an interview what will it include?

NN: Okay, It's more like a staff member from the Voice team will introduce voice and what that entails, e.g. we support Course Reps and stuff like that, a member of the Opportunities team talking about volunteering, societies, a Commercial staff member talking about Injunction etc. It will be staff members talking about their role in DSU so students know what to look for when they come to DSU.

AS: How can council reps be involved in that project?


NN: Under voice, when we're at the stalls and when we do the lecture shout outs you can help out there, but it's also ideas from you guys about what we can include in the project?

AS: Okay sounds interesting, when are you planning to do the preparations and start the shooting?

NN: I've started the script for the video and the lecture shout outs, and that merchandise has been purchased. So, I would say from next week most of the things will start running, and will I keep everyone here updated and work out everyone's availability so we can do the work together. Thanks, for the contribution Anna.

NN: Is there anything that you guys have to say or share, that we should pay particular attention to? Just hearing from the zone members.

NN: Toby?



TS: I'm assuming the lectures are going to be for 1st and 2nd years, because the 3rd years already know

NN: 1st, 2nd years but there's some 3rd years lecture shout outs booked too. We just want to make sure we don't leave anyone out, so the lecture shut outs will be for all year groups as there are still some people who don't know about DSU.

AS: I want to ask about something that I've already discussed with Hussain on Friday, I've heard that 3rd year students will have extra access to Avalon studios. Due to covid we haven't had access, I've heard this is just a rumour. This is something that's really important, for all students. They still believe that they will have access afterwards, when will only have it until the end of the course. What about those students who will go for extensions or deferrals? Do they get a new card? I know this is very hard, and I know 1-year access to studios and Avalon will be hard to figure out I think in the summertime teachers could do extra labs with students to get extra information they have missed. I'm in the process of writing an email to Hussain.

NN: You said you'll be writing an email to Hussain when it comes through that will be picked up and we'll figure out who to speak to in the university.

HM: We spoke about it on Friday when we had that CEM meeting, and once we receive that information, we will make sure it goes to the correct person at the university and will Teach out to Pamela for support to


AS: Okay, so the proper way will be me writing an email because I don't really know how this works, is it the tutors or the university who control access?

NN: You just write an email to Hussain with all your concerns and it will now be our responsibility to reach out to the university.

NN: Oh, okay I get it. I reach out to you and you contact the university. Perfect.

5. Catch up for zone members, budget

NN: From the last meeting we mentioned that we do have a budget as a zone, and we do have to spend it before the academic year is done, the budget is £280 right Myra. Anything you guys think we should do, a campaign or an event we do have the budget for that.



MK: I will check that and get back to you by the end of the meeting

TS: I don't want to sound weird but a pizza party. The course reps were supposed to have one, and we can have one to raise awareness for DSU and you know how with elections you got free pizza if you vote, we could do something similar where you listen to us talk and get free pizza.

MK: The budget is £250 per zone

AS: Could you remind me what campaigns we could do? We could have a session where we have a chat with students who are interested in being a course rep, and we give them an overview of what the role entails. But yeah, I like the idea of pizza.

SG: Sounds good, the course reps aren't well known in BAL at least and most don't get any student feedback so it definitely needs more awareness.

NN: When do you think would be the best time to do it? April? May?

TS: End of April, early May I have a dissertation due in late April

AS: Early May

NN: Stephanie, what do you think?

SG: Yeah early May, sounds about right

NN: So, I think early May could work, maybe the first week. And then we can see how to send the information out there, and look at the numbers. Alright cool, we'll definitely follow up on this and put action to it, and how to real put the message across of everything you have all mentioned.



6. Zone members, feedback

NN: Is there any other business? Any other items of discussion you would like us to have?

TS: The usual, how is everybody? Are we all good?

NN: I'm good, I was kind of tired from the whole election week.

TS: Honestly, Nyasha I'm exhausted I know it was two weeks ago but it was tiring, campaigning. Congratulations on you win again, it's very well deserved.

AS: I do have a question. It's just something that came out in our society, Demon Media we have one person that's struggling with mental health issues. It's just ended up in a way where that person doesn't really want any help, I'm just wondering what we can do in that situation.


NN: If you could refer them to our advice team in the DSU they could definitely have someone to talk to, and next week we have stress awareness month. We have so many activities for stress awareness and mental health within the DSU, so definitely direct them to the DSU where they can book a one to one session.

AS: In terms of mental health awareness week, I'm running every two weeks a programme about mental health awareness on Demon FM, I was wondering if anyone would like to join me for our talk to find out what DMU/DSU are doing. and discuss the events and support available so the students know what's going on. I will later submit it as a podcast so we can refer back.

NN: Yeah, I'm sure definitely some of us would like to join and support, if you tell us when your programme is someone can come, even I could.

AS: Yeah, that great. That's brilliant, would be nice. I will definitely email.

NN: Or maybe another, member of staff from advice too.



MK: Yeah, definitely email us. The stress awareness events are a collaborative effort from different teams in DSU. There will be events hosted by Voice, Advice, yeah email someone and we'll try and get one of the execs or someone from one of the other teams hosting events to come along and talk about it.

7. A.O.B. / Other items for discussion

NN: There's a thing I've started doing every Friday so I decided to play rounders, is it at Bede Park right Hussain?

HM: Yes.

NN: Every Friday we're looking for an activity to do so students can take off the stress of the whole week it's something I want to start doing so everyone can just chill. It's helps people get to know each other as well.

AS: That sounds great, it's a good idea.


NN: It's a great opportunity for academic zone to get any feedback, and ideas of what else to do to really support students. We're thinking of something this Friday, maybe dodgeball but we will communicate it through all our socials.

AS: I think it's a really great idea, and there's something I thought about before the meeting. We should have catchup sessions whenever we can, and just ask questions whenever we can.

HM: And Anna, if Demon FM is able to share information about what is going on.

AS: Yeah. I just thought about something LCB depot every last Friday of the month they do an event, mostly a BBQ, tickets are £2, I think it's a good idea to do networking and a lot of creative people are attending, it's a great place to have those catch ups.

NN: Myra, go on.



MK: I have a question because all of you guys are Course Reps, obviously we've been running our 'Tea & Chat' sessions but attendance at those has been relatively low. So, what we're thinking of doing is running in person sessions where we will provide drinks and snacks, so it's an informal session to meet other reps and provide feedback. Plus, every month still having a virtual session for accessibility, and basically would like to know what you all think.

AS: It's hard to say because, it's dependent on everyone's schedules because we're all quite busy, but if I were on campus and available at the time, I would definitely attend something like that.

NN: We had a thumbs up from Stephanie.

TS: Just agreeing with Anna, I think people would like a face-to-face thing if possible. Virtual is nice and all and accessible, but people do like being able to see other people and have that in person interaction, especially now we're out of covid because who doesn't like tea and a chat.

NN: Everyone prefers in person, and with our special ally at Demon FM and I think some more people will find out and attend, because they do get their information from other sources.


AS: Yeah definitely because I'm the Social Media Manager, I've got one more idea about Demon FM, if you would like to share a weekly update with me that you would like me to share on the programme I could do that I can speak with other people too because I only do one programme a week.

NN: Do you have anything else Anna?

AS: No, I'm good.

NN: This has been very fruitful thank you for those contributions. We'll definitely make use of all the access that you have. I think in terms of anything we had to cover we have covered. Do you guys have any ideas about freshers?

AS: I haven't been able to attend a freshers yet, because of covid.



NN: I started my first year during covid times so looking forward to this year for my first experience, so we'll see how that goes.

SG: Not especially, but there definitely needs to be more emphasis on the DSU rather than random local businesses. it's just not that applicable to most students when it would be a great opportunity to engage with new students.

NN: Yeah okay, cool. We'll take that into account because we are having meetings about how to plan this year's freshers. I think we just have 3 minutes left but thank you so much everyone for your contributions. Thank you for being available today. We'll have our small project together, and more activities to get students engaged and hopefully everything will be a success. Everyone have a lovely weekend, because when we enter council it will be a different set up.

AS: Thank you.

NN: You're welcome Anna, and thank you to Myra for being our secretary and taking minutes and Hussain for the support as well.

AS: No problem. Thank you, Thank you all.